With a Campus of 15,700 students and around 1,000 professors, UCAM is a private Higher Education & Research Institution with 18 years of history , which offers 26 prominent European official degree studies, 45 Master and 17 PhD programs. The Faculty of Sport consists of 1,200 undergraduate and graduate students, and 64 teachers. Its Sports Center hosts a biomechanic research lab. From this technology, it can acknowledge the validity and reliability of different devices and training methods used in the practice of sports and physical activities.
The feasibility of the vocational part of the project is guaranteed by the well-organized and well-structured partners in this field. All of our vocational training partners work with certain compendia. They include techniques of studying and working, how to conduct evaluation talks with the trainees, the distribution of tasks at the workplace according to the trainees’ curricula etc. At the end of their vocational training, the athletes will receive an official transcript and/or a Bachelor’s Degree.
The highly motivated and talented basketball players from the partner countries will find professional basketball training structures in Bremerhaven with qualified training staff. The players will undergo different stages of training in the Eisbären basketball academy, aiming to play in the highest basketball league.
The project addresses the European policy objectives for the dual career of athletes in several ways. It gives promising athletes prospects to pursue their athletic careers, while simultaneously providing them with an education and vocational training to prepare them for employment after their athletic careers. In addition, the project is an innovative approach to solving the unemployment of youths in Southern European countries by serving as a best practice example for youth and sport mobility.
The project will bring athletes to Bremen and Bremenhaven, Germany, to give them a dual career in basketball and vocational training. Germany is an excellent location for young people to receive an education, as it has high economic growth rates and an effective system of dual education. Germany and the state of Bremen , in particular, are looking for young motivated employees, especially in the field of health. A combination of professional basketball and vocational training is an innovative policy which can serve as a best practice solution for high youth unemployment and it can strengthen youth mobility and dual careers of athletes in the field of sport.
- Creating a new approach to vocational education and training (results will be found on time balance, intensity of training, communication between athletes and employers)
- Innovative redevelopment of the relationship between sport and the economy (employers)
- New insights to the limits of young athletes’ performance in a setting, where they work and train at the same time.
- Results on how much can be asked and expected of the athletes.
The implementation, the exchange between partners, between partners and athletes, the experience with coaches and the athletes, as well as the experience of the athletes with the vocational training providers will have an impact on:
- The future establishment of an exchange program for student-athletes in the EU
- The benefits this exchange program will have in the academic and sport field (sport mobility)
- Inclusion of European youth in vocational training and markets
- Experience of employers with professional athletes and arrangements to balance work, life and sport
- Social inclusion and personal growth of the participants
- The development on good practices on a European level between the partner organizations and their stakeholders